Recipe: Low-Carb Mediterranean Shrimp “Spaghetti”
March 4, 2016 | Clean & Healthy Eating, Real Food Recipes|
Whether you’re on a low-carb diet, are trying to avoid gluten, or just want a delicious healthy meal, this Mediterranean-inspired shrimp & spaghetti squash recipe fits the bill!
Yay! It’s Foodie Friday! Time for another great, nutrition-packed recipe to try out this weekend…. This week’s tantalizing taste of Italy from Early to Rise combines tender shrimp with plenty of flavorful ingredients from the Mediterranean coast, such as olives, pine nuts, and lemon – without all the carbs of regular spaghetti.
Spaghetti squash takes the place of pasta, so you can enjoy this delicious dish without worrying about blood sugar issues or other carb-related problems, and it’s also great for those on a gluten-free diet.
Mediterranean Shrimp with Spaghetti Squash & Toasted Pine Nuts
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30-45 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 medium spaghetti squash (about 3 lbs.)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- 28 frozen shrimp, unfrozen, shelled and cleaned
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 ½ Tablespoons fresh oregano (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 teaspoon Sea salt
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cups watercress or spinach, washed
- ¼ cup toasted pine nuts
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- and/or ¼ cup pitted Kalamata olives
- Cut squash lengthwise and remove the seeds. Bake face down on oiled cookie sheet at 375 degrees for about 30-45 minutes or until easily pierced by a fork.
See full preparation instructions at ETR.com.
Image Source: EarlyToRise.com