Real Food Recipe: Tuscan Kale Salad
You probably know by now that kale is considered a “superfood,” but how should you prepare it? There are lots of tasty ways to enjoy kale; here is a simple and delicious recipe for Tuscan kale salad.
You may know that kale is one of the most nutrient-dense veggies that we have easy access to, containing high levels of vitamin K, vitamin A, and vitamin C, as well as protein and several anti-inflammatory compounds that can help fight off damaging free radicals and potentially aid in the prevention of chronic diseases such as cancer, heart disease, diabetes and more.
With all this in mind, no wonder kale is considered a super food!
But how should you prepare and eat this amazing vegetable? You may have tried juicing, but some people don’t like green juices, or simply can’t afford a high-end vegetable juicer.
Here’s a delicious recipe for kale; based on the nutritional insights of Dr. Weil, M.D., it’s one of the most popular dishes at True Food Kitchen in Phoenix, Arizona.
Here’s a quick video on how to prepare the salad (see full list of ingredients and directions below the video):
Ingredients for Dr. Weil’s Tuscan Kale Salad
- 4-6 cups organic kale, loosely packed, sliced leaves of Italian black (Lacinato, “dinosaur,” cavolo nero) midribs removed
- juice of 1 organic lemon
- 3-4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves organic garlic, mashed
- sea salt & pepper, to taste
- organic hot red pepper flakes, to taste
- 2/3 cup grated organic Pecorino Toscano cheese (Rosselino variety if you can find it) or other flavorful grating cheese such as Asiago or Parmesan
- 1/2 cup freshly made bread crumbs from lightly toasted bread
How to make Tuscan Kale Salad
1. Whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and a generous pinch (or more to taste) of hot red pepper flakes.
2. Pour over kale in serving bowl and toss well.
3. Add 2/3 of the cheese and toss again.
4. Let kale sit for at least 5 minutes. Add breadcrumbs, toss again, and top with remaining cheese.