[Foodie Friday Recipe] Summer Tomato Pie
Got extra tomatoes? Here’s a delicious and easy tomato pie recipe to use up some of the bounty!
Tomatoes, tomatoes, tomatoes! This time of year, it seems we are always swimming in them, and I’m looking forward to whipping up this simple, quick, summertime meal with loads of fresh ripe tomatoes and basil from the garden!
If you don’t grow your own, you should be able to easily find lots of ripe tomatoes at your local farmer’s market this time of year.
Here’s a delicious and easy way to use up some of summer’s bounty:
Summer Tomato PieIngredients for the Crust:
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into small pieces (I use organic lard instead, which we always have on hand)
- 1/4 cup ice waterIngredients for the Filling:
- 3 large ripe tomatoes – any variety you like – sliced thick, sprinkled with salt, left to drain in colander
- 1 handful of fresh basil leaves, julienned
- 2 cups grated cheese blend of your choice (mozzarella, provolone, Parmesan, cheddar, etc.)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (homemade if you’re feeling ambitious)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cherry tomatoes and a sprig of basil for garnish, optionalDirections:For the Crust: Combine flour, salt, sugar and butter in food processor. Pulse until blended. Add ice water in slow steady stream pulsing just until dough holds together, about 30 seconds. Flatten dough into disc, wrap in plastic and refrigerate at least one hour.…………………………………………………………
Get full instructions at FreshEggsDaily.com…
Please note: Next week is our summer “Blogging Break Week” (yes, we’ll be canning tomatoes), but we’ll be back soon with your regularly scheduled healthy living posts. In the meantime, check out our archives and join us on our Facebook page for lots of healthy and delicious recipes, fast, fun workouts, and natural health tips!