[Foodie Friday Recipe] Mediterranean Sunset Pasta Salad
August 12, 2022 | Real Food Recipes|
This simple & flavorful Mediterranean pasta salad makes a perfect summer side dish or light supper!
This simple and colorful pasta salad is a quick and tasty addition to any potluck or barbecue, and also would make a great vegetarian lunch or light supper on a hot summer evening. It doesn’t take long to throw together, and it’s packed with Mediterranean flavors like olives, peppers, and lemon.
You can also make this ahead of time for convenience plus more flavor – just prepare the day before and keep refrigerated until 15 minutes before serving.
Feel free to add or substitute your favorite veggies for those listed (marinated artichoke hearts or diced cucumbers would be tasty additions), add some feta cheese, or try a different short pasta shape.
Mediterranean Sunset Pasta Salad Recipe
Prep Time: 30 minutes + chill time
- 1 (1 lb box) mini penne pasta
- 4 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped sundried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted red sweet bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped black (ripe) olives (you can also use Kalamata)
- 1 can (15 oz) cannellini beans or red beans
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 Tbsp capers
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water; drain well and put in a very large bowl, then pour olive oil over the penne and toss to combine; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine all the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Add this mixture to the pasta, toss to combine, taste for seasonings, and adjust if needed.
- Cover bowl and place in refrigerator for at least 1 to 2 hours so flavors combine.
- When ready to serve, remove from refrigerator and let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Toss again and serve cool.