Celebrate the flavors of fall with this healthy & flavorful kale pomegranate salad recipe!
Not ready for the heavy and hearty foods of winter, but want to enjoy the flavors of autumn? This tasty and healthy salad will hit the spot! It’s packed with delicious fresh fall ingredients like kale, walnuts, and apples, and the pomegranate adds sweet-tart flavor, antioxidants, and a burst of vibrant color on your plate. This salad can be enjoyed year-round, but it’s best when all the ingredients are at their freshest and most flavorful, which for most of us is this time of year.
Make this salad your own by substituting other types of greens for the kale (you won’t need to massage them in that case), use different berries instead of the pomegranate arils (seeds), add other nuts or seeds, and/or top it with a protein of your choice for a heartier meal.
Kale Pomegranate Salad Recipe
Time: 15 Minutes
- 4 handfuls organic kale (destemmed and broken into pieces) (or other greens of choice – spinach, arugula, or mesclun mix work well)
- ½ cup walnuts (chopped)
- ½ medium organic apple (thinly sliced, green or red)
- ½ cup pomegranate arils (seeds)
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- Choice of protein (grilled chicken, tofu, chickpeas, etc.) (Optional)
- Place kale in a large bowl. Add a dime-sized amount of olive oil or other vegetable oil to clean washed hands. Massage kale with hands for 30–60 seconds until kale is tender. (Skip the massaging if substituting other greens.)
- Add the walnuts, apple slices, pomegranate and hemp seeds and toss.
- Top with additional protein of choice if using.
- To a small bowl or mason jar, add all of the dressing ingredients, and optional salt and pepper to taste. Mix or shake well until all of the tahini is dissolved.
- Pour over top of kale pomegranate salad and toss.
- Serve in two medium bowls.