Break out the grill one last time for this satisfyingly flavorful veggie sandwich, featuring lots of healthy fall vegetables & herbs…
Fall is here and as we move into the season of hearty soups and stews, we thought it might be nice to ease in with this delicious grilled veggie sandwich! This vegetarian sandwich is simple but packed with flavor and nutrition, and you can make it your own by switching out the veggies as desired to suit your family’s tastes. Feel free to add a few slices of cheese if you like, or keep it vegan shown below.
If it’s already too chilly to grill outside, you can also broil the veggies in the oven, making this a versatile lunch or supper that you can make anytime. Enjoy it with late summer and early fall garden fresh veggies such as eggplant, peppers, and onions, or you could even throw on some fresh tomato or lettuce if you like. The arugula, basil, and kale add a spicy bite and tons of nutrients to the pesto, as well as loads of flavor!
Grilled Veggie Sandwich with Basil Pesto
What you need:
Hearty Bread: ciabatta, honey wheat rolls, or focaccia pan loafGrillable Veggies – Eggplant, zucchini, peppers, onions, etc. – sliced evenly and brushed with olive oil
- 2 handfuls of fresh basil
- 2 handfuls of arugula/kale
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1.5 TBSP lemon juice
- 1/2 cup hemp seeds
- salt to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil added to a food processor and blended until smooth
- Slice your veggies and brush with olive oil.
- Grill over medium-high heat until lightly charred on both sides, flipping once. (Instead of grilling, you can also roast the veggies in the oven at 400-degrees for 20-30 minutes, flipping once halfway through.)
- Grill or toast your bread lightly if desired.
- Spread with pesto, and top generously with grilled veggies.
- Optional: You can also add sliced cheese of your choice if desired.