[Foodie Friday Recipe] Dandelion Root Mocha
Skip the coffee and spice up your mornings with this delicious & health-supporting dandelion root mocha!
Although most people think of dandelions as a common weed, in fact, they have many potent health benefits. There are a number of ways to consume dandelions, simply boiling the leaves to reduce their bitterness, stir-frying the roots with other veggies, and even pickling them. You can also make many different medicinal remedies from dandelions, including supplements, tinctures, and teas, but one great way to enjoy dandelion root is as a much healthier substitute for coffee.
Dandelion root coffee is hearty, tasty, and healthy. It’s a great way to enjoy a morning cup, without the caffeine jitters. Make it even more special by turning it into a warm cup of mocha!
Here’s how to make your own cup of dandelion mocha:
Dandelion Root Mocha Recipe
Makes approximately 3 cups.
- 1 TB dandelion root grounds (see below)
- 1 TB cacao nibs
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup milk (or milk substitute)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 TB honey (or other sweetener of choice)
- Dash ground nutmeg and/or cloves
- Add 1 tbsp. each of dandelion coffee grounds* and cacao nibs to 3 cups of water.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Strain, and add milk (or milk substitute), cinnamon, vanilla extract, honey, and a dash of your choice of spices.
- Stir well and enjoy hot!
* How to make dandelion coffee grounds:
- Thoroughly clean your dandelion root, slice it, and slow-roast it in your oven until it turns dark brown and becomes brittle. This should take about 30 minutes at 350°F (175°C).
- Let it cool, and then grind it up in a coffee grinder, blender, or food processor, until it resembles coffee grounds.
Recipe Source: TheGrowNetwork.com