This butternut squash apple cranberry bake recipe makes a healthy & delicious addition to any holiday meal!
This delicious, simple, easy, and colorful dish is full of yummy fall flavors, and perfect for the holiday table. Rich and sweet butternut squash contrasts with tart apples and cranberries in this super simple recipe that makes a great side dish for turkey, roast beef, or any special holiday meal. The hardest part is dicing the butternut squash – then you just throw everything together in a casserole dish and let it bake!
You can also make this dish a day ahead to save time and oven space on Turkey Day, and then just heat it up in the oven before serving.
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 55 Minutes
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 large tart cooking apples (like Granny Smith), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (half a stick) butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg or mace
Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly butter the sides and bottom of a 7×11-inch baking dish.
Mix together the flour, brown sugar, salt, and nutmeg in a small bowl.
Put a layer of cut butternut squash on the bottom of the baking dish. Place apples on top and then sprinkle with cranberries. Sprinkle everything with the flour brown sugar mixture. Dot with butter.
- Bake 50-60 minutes at 350°F until cooked through and lightly browned.