Can’t sleep? Try this soothing, delicious, traditionally healthy beverage before bed!
If you’ve never heard of turmeric milk, it is a common bedtime beverage used in the Ayurvedic tradition to provide a number of health benefits, including better sleep.
Turmeric is commonly known as a “super spice,” with the healing power and anti-inflammatory benefits of curcumin.
Turmeric has also been credited with enhanced detoxification properties, reducing arthritis pain, improving circulation, healing and soothing the digestive tract, and easing other inflammation related illnesses. Some studies have even found curcumin to have anti-cancer properties when tested on cancer cells in a laboratory.
There’s no doubt about it – turmeric is definitely “super” among the super foods!
This delicious drink contains the healthy benefits of turmeric, as well as ginger for digestion, and honey for its soothing and antibacterial properties.
This recipe uses coconut milk rather than regular milk, for additional health benefits. Coconut milk is full of healthy fats and contains lauric acid, antimicrobial lipids and capric acid, which have antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties.
Coconut Turmeric Milk
- 2 cups coconut milk (or milk of your choice)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (the absorption of turmeric is actually enhanced when combined with black pepper)*
- 1″ piece of fresh ginger, sliced
- Raw honey to sweeten, if desired
*Note: If you have an ulcerative intestinal problem, omit the black pepper as it can be problematic with ulcers….
- In a saucepan add all ingredients (except honey, if using) and whisk to combine
- Heat over medium heat until it starts to bubble
- Then turn heat down to low and simmer for about 5 minutes so the flavors meld
- Strain out the ginger
- Add honey and stir
- Makes 2 servings, so you can share the love!
Learn more at WiseMindHealthyBody.com…
Image Source: Wise Mind, Healthy Body