Enjoy this cool and refreshing watermelon granita for a deliciously simple treat on a hot summer evening!
It already feels like the dog days of summer here in Ohio, so I thought it would be the perfect time for this cool and refreshing summer treat! This watermelon granita makes a surprisingly simple light dessert that’s fancy enough for entertaining, and it can be made ahead of time to free up your time to spend with your guests enjoying a beautiful summer evening on the patio.
For a more “adult” treat, add 1/4 cup of tequila to the bag with the chopped watermelon before freezing. (This will also make it easier to blend when frozen.)
We used ginger pickled in a semi-sweet syrup and it added a bit of a spicy/tart kick without being too sweet.
Watermelon Granita with Ginger Syrup, Yogurt & Mint
Prep Time: 14 min.
Freeze Time: 8 hours
- 1 small watermelon (1.8kg/4 lb)
- 60g/2 oz ginger in syrup
- 2 organic limes, washed and rubbed dry
- ½ bunch of fresh mint (15g/0.5 oz)
- 8 tablespoons natural yogurt
- Cut off the watermelon rind, then chop the flesh into chunks, picking out any seeds.
- Roughly chop the ginger and place in a large sealable freezer bag with the watermelon chunks. (Add tequila if using.)
- Finely grate in the lime zest, squeeze in all the juice, then freeze flat for at least 8 hours, or until frozen solid.
- Chill serving bowls or glasses 1 hour before serving.
- When ready to serve, pick and reserve the smallest mint leaves, then pick the rest into a food processor.
- Add the frozen watermelon mixture and blitz to a pink snow (in batches, if you need to).
- Serve 2 heaped tablespoons of granita per person in chilled bowls or glasses, with 1 tablespoon of yogurt, a drizzle of ginger syrup from the jar and a few baby mint leaves. So light and refreshing!