The hot days of midsummer are perfect for a cool, sweet treat like this creamy, delicious coconut milk ice cream!
This delicious coconut milk ice cream recipe is Paleo and gluten-free – in fact, it’s even suitable for Vegans! It tastes so good, you won’t miss the milk, or all the added preservatives and other artificial ingredients you find in store-bought ice creams and other dairy-free frozen desserts. Instead, it contains only four simple, natural ingredients.
No ice cream maker? No problem!
The whipping process and the tapioca powder ensure that this coconut milk ice cream treat turns out delicious and creamy, no ice cream maker required! (However, if you do have an ice cream maker, you can skip the beating process, and just combine all ingredients in your ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions.)
All you need is a glass mixing bowl, a standing mixer, and a freezer-safe container for freezing your ice cream.
The basic recipe below can also be modified by adding your choice of fruit purees such as mango or strawberry, or by topping with fruit, coconut flakes, or chocolate sauce.
Paleo Coconut Milk Ice Cream Recipe
Total time: 4 hrs + 25 min.
Prep Time: 25 min.
- 1 14 oz. can full fat coconut milk chilled overnight or coconut cream
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (or more to taste)
- 2 t vanilla extract
- 4 t tapioca flour and water, made into a slurry
- Chill canned coconut milk and mixing bowl in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- With egg beaters or a stand mixer, whip together in chilled bowl the chilled coconut milk, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and tapioca flour slurry until thick and creamy—around 5 to 10 minutes.
- Pour ice cream base into a lined freezer-safe container, then wrap gently with plastic wrap and foil. Freeze for at least 4 hours up to overnight.
Want more delicious Paleo recipes like this? Check out the Paleo Sweets Cookbook!