Whether you’re gluten-free, dairy-free, or just looking for a way to sneak more veggies into dessert, this mouth-watering chocolate fudge beet cake is a surprisingly delicious treat!
Cake with beets in it?? That’s right! This fudgy and delicious chocolate fudge beet cake is sooo good – even the most devoted beet-hater won’t be able to resist! Given that most colorful foods are super nutritious, it should come as no surprise that this potently purple root vegetable is packed with healthy goodness!
Beets are naturally high in fiber, iron, and many other minerals and vitamins. True, they’re not exactly something you’d expect to find in a cake…but they are a great way to sneak more veggies into your diet without even noticing! They give this cake a dark, velvety color and texture, and you’ll love the rich, fudge-like flavor of this gluten-free and dairy-free treat. (If you’re not gluten-free, feel free to use your choice of flour instead of the almond or rice flour, as noted below.)
Chocolate Fudge Beet Cake Recipe
Prep Time: 20 min.
Cook Time: 40 min.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Set up a double broiler (preferable to the microwave) to melt your chocolate, butter, and coconut oil in. Bring water just to a low boil and then set your bowl of ingredients on top. Once chocolate turns shiny stir and remove from heat. Return to heat and stir until melted. If heated too quickly, chocolate can seize, so I take mine off about two times and return it only if needed. Set aside and let cool to room temperature.
- Whisk together egg yolks (set whites aside in a mixer bowl) and granulated sugar until well blended. Add cooled chocolate to bowl and whisk. Stir in beets and flour.
- With an electric mixer beat egg whites with powdered sugar until soft peaks form. Fold this into the chocolate mixture, careful not to over mix, just until combined.
- Pour this into a springform pan.
- Bake 40 minutes. Remove from oven. The center will still look raw, don’t worry, take it out. It will set up as it cools. Cool on a wire rack and then chill in the fridge.
- For the glaze, use a double boiler or the microwave to melt the chocolate with the coconut oil. Drizzle over cake or eat by the spoonful, whichever you like.