Enjoy these low-carb, fresh, healthy, and delicious tostadas for a quick and easy lunch or dinner!
Today’s recipe comes to you from the author of the Fat Burning Kitchen cookbook – a great source of healthy and delicious recipes designed to optimize your body’s fat-burning potential.
This delicious combination of fresh, healthy flavors will fill you up and leave you satisfied for hours, so it’s great for lunch, and also makes a quick and easy weeknight dinner. The combination of lime, cilantro, onion, and avocado produces an explosion of flavors that will make your mouth happy and your tummy full and satisfied!
The recipe below makes about 5-6 servings, so you can make it ahead and eat it for lunch throughout the week. If you can’t find healthy tostada shells that are made without hydrogenated oils or trans fats, use soft organic corn tortillas instead, or wrap the filling in lettuce leaves for the ultimate low-carb lunch. (If you’re not sure why you should be avoiding hydrogenated oils, be sure to check out this eye-opening article.)
Low-Carb Fat-Burning Tostadas (Or Tacos)
Makes: 5-6 servings.
- 1-lb of cooked diced chicken breast (you can also substitute shrimp for variety)
- 2 medium vidalia onions diced
- 1 large bunch of cilantro finely chopped
- 1 small jar (10 or 12 oz) of salsa
- about 3 ripe avocados
- 1-2 large limes
- about 10-12 round flat tostada shells (avoid any that are fried in soybean oil or hydrogenated oils of any kind… if you can, find some at the health food store that are fried in much healthier coconut oil), organic corn tortillas, or lettuce leaves for lettuce wraps
- Mix the diced chicken, diced onion, chopped cilantro, and jar of bean and corn salsa all together in a large bowl.
- Spoon out some of the mixture from the bowl onto each of the tostadas or tortillas, and then top with some diced avocado (I use about 1/4 to 1/2 of an avocado for each tostada).
- Then slice off a couple of fresh lime wedges and squeeze the fresh lime juice on top of each tostada.