Asparagus is the quintessential spring vegetable, and this simple, flavorful recipe may quickly become one of your springtime favorites!
Wake up Wheaties – there’s a new breakfast in town… And it’s a lot healthier and more delicious!
This amazingly tasty recipe from chef Anita Lo from Annisa brings out the sweet, earthy flavor of fresh asparagus with just a hint of char, while the nutty Parmesan and zesty lemon add the perfect contrast.
Drop an egg on top and you’ve got yourself a springtime breakfast (or lunch) that can’t be beat!
Make sure to get fat, tender, fresh asparagus spears, and choose pastured eggs for the most health benefits.
Caramelized Asparagus With Lemon, Egg, & Parmesan
12 stalks asparagus, bottoms snapped off
2 T olive oil
2 eggs, fried sunny-side up
A few gratings of lemon zest on a microplane
Large pinch of chopped chives
A spritz of lemon juice
1 heaping T grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or pecorino
Grating of fresh black pepper
- Heat a sauté pan on high.
- Add oil and swirl, and when just smoking, add the asparagus, then turn the heat down to medium high. Season with salt and brown, then turn and brown the other side.
- Remove to two warm plates, add a little more oil, and fry the eggs sunny-side up, and season them with salt and pepper.
- Top the asparagus with the eggs, then with the chives, lemon juice and zest, and then with the Parmigiano-Reggiano and a little more black pepper.
- Serve with a slice of crusty bread, drizzled with extra virgin olive oil. Yum!
Recipe from Annisa Restaurant.
Image Source: Katie Burton / Courtesy of Anita Lo