Try these easy and delicious gourmet black bean burgers for a “Meatless Monday” dinner even non-vegetarians will love!
Eating less meat is not only better for the environment, but it’s also better for your health. While quality meats raised on pasture are okay in moderation, much research shows that eating meat every single day simply isn’t good for you. Take a break from meat for one day this week, and see how you get on. These amazingly delicious black bean burgers may help!
Even if you’re not a vegetarian, you’ll still love the gooey mozzarella cheese, tangy balsamic onions, and crunchy, flavorful slaw accompanies these high-protein bean burger patties.
Plus, it’s easy to whip up the entire meal in less than an hour, so it’s perfect for a quick weeknight dinner or a lazy summer lunch on the patio!
Here’s how to make them:
Gourmet Black Bean Burgers
Time Required: 40 Min.
- ½ a red onion
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 fresh red chilli
- 2 spring onions
- 1 14-oz can of black beans
- 3 1/2 oz fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 lemon
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 TB plain yogurt (not non-fat)
- 3 oz baby kale
- 1 handful fresh rocket (arugula)
- olive oil
- 1 ripe beefsteak tomato
- 3 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 wholegrain buns
- Peel onion, finely slice into rounds and place in small bowl with balsamic and a pinch of sea salt. Set aside.
- Halve, deseed and finely chop chilli. Trim and finely chop spring onions. Place both in a mixing bowl. Drain beans and pat dry with kitchen paper. Add to the bowl, along with breadcrumbs.
- Season, then scrunch the bean mixture together with clean hands. Divide into 3 balls, flatten into patties and place 2 in the fridge to chill for 10 minutes (wrap and freeze the spare for another day).
- In a small bowl, combine half the lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, and yoghurt. Season well. Trim the kale and mix into dressing with the rocket. Put aside.