Try these delicious baked blueberry oats for a great make-ahead healthy breakfast!
This healthy and delicious baked blueberry oats recipe makes a perfectly balanced breakfast, and you can make it ahead, so it’s great for busy mornings when you need to have breakfast already prepared. It’s also vegan-friendly, and gluten-free.
This recipe makes quite a few servings, so it’s also a good breakfast idea when you have company. Or, you can make a batch at the beginning of the week and have breakfast taken care of for several days.
Either way, you can’t go wrong with this healthy breakfast, which contains plenty of fiber, antioxidants, and healthy fats to keep you going until lunchtime!
Baked Blueberry Oats
Makes: 8-10 Servings
Total Time: 1 hour + 10 min.
- 1 1/2 cups (260 grams) steel cut Irish oats
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 cups (950 ml, 32 ounces) unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 cups (480 ml, 16 ounces) light unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 1/2 (240 grams) cups fresh blueberries (frozen OK too, do not thaw first)
- 1/4 cup (47 grams) unsweetened dried blueberries
- 1/4 cup (22 grams) unsweetened coconut flake
- use pure maple syrup, honey or your favorite natural sweetener to taste
- 2 cups (360 grams) fresh or frozen blueberries
- toasted nuts
- coconut flakes
- whipped cream (vegan or not)
- extra dried and fresh blueberries
- coconut milk
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F with the rack in the center. Lightly coat a 13X9X2″ inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl (except for the sauce and toppings ingredients), adding dried blueberries and coconut last. Sweeten to taste.
- Bake for about one hour. The oatmeal will appear not done when you take it out of the oven.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool to room temperature. Then put it in your refrigerator overnight for best results. It will thicken nicely as it cools.
- To make the blueberry sauce, heat the fresh or frozen blueberries with a splash of water over medium high heat. When you hear them sizzle reduce heat to medium and cook for about 5 minutes until saucy. Mash the blueberries against the side of the pan with a spatula.
- Serve oatmeal with some almond or coconut milk and blueberry sauce, and/or other optional toppings listed.